The farming community of Slocum (formerly Slocumville) was settled originally by the Slocum family around the time of the Revolution. This area known by the original settlers as the Great Plain or later the College Plain, possessed the most fertile farmland in the region as is still farmed extensively to this day. The village of Slocum was established around 1850 and included eventually a post office, a general store, a train station, a district schoolhouse, a church, and a grange hall. Farming in the 1800's was varied and a full range of crops was grown, however, by the 1930's, the region specialized in growing Maine potatoes. This has changed too, and now the vast majority of Slocum farmlands are being cultivated for turf farming.